Thursday 8 January 2015

Science of Happiness

EdX course: The Science of Happiness was a title my unicorn-toting self could not refuse. 

"Sign me up!"

First mission? Introduce yourself. What makes you happy?

Great question! Some answers went without saying, such as free Tim's. And my cats. 

Other I had to put some thought into. 

Karyn's Happiness List

1. Bootcamp. Two-fold: Firstly, the immense satisfaction I get from actually accomplishing it. I do things in Bootcamp that I never thought possible. Like holding a 20lb weight above my head for 30 seconds. Second, the people there are so awesome. I am admitting an addiction to their sarcastic enthusiasm.

2. My Car. Best investment ever. I took the bus for about TWENTY YEARS! The freedom of owning my own vehicle and leaving whenever I  want to is amazing. I feel bad about it running on dinosaurs, but what can you do?

3. Social Media. A lot of people complain about social media but I love it. It's a quick way to stay in touch with old friends and to make new ones. People get so creative. Without social media I wouldn't have discovered this course or cat-memes.

4. Morning Tea. After I feed my cats, I sit for half an hour in my papsan and enjoy a morning tea. I am often joined by my cats and it's a quiet morning, waiting for the sun, of warmth, purring, and yum. Perfect start.

5. Travel. There are three places I regularly visit: Buffalo, NY., Ottawa, ON., and California (care of my brother). I LOVE travel. Especially long trips. You have nothing to do while travelling but relax and look out the window. New scenery, whether passing forests on your way north or mountain tops on your way south, never gets dull, and always gives me a sense of wonder and connection. 

6. New Friends. Specifically that moment when you realize someone new is now your friend. It's like crossing an invisible border and usually takes place with laughter. 

7. Sarcasm. Connected to friendship. Sarcasm is like a code: If you can get it and dish it out, you're one of us. I couldn't live without sarcasm. It explains so much that makes no sense in this world. 

What makes your list? Love to hear back!

1 comment:

  1. Sarcasm is the best way to deal with some people ;)

    ReplyDelete